Streamlining the approval of a Dual Occupancy development

Want to maximise your return on investment? Find out how you could streamline the approval of your next dual occupancy development with us.

13 September, 2022
Streamlining the approval of a Dual Occupancy development

If you are interested in investing in Sydney property, you will have heard of dual occupancy investment properties. Building one can be a great way to increase return on investment and overall land value. However, the build and approval process can be time-consuming and costly.

With that in mind, ES Design takes a closer look at dual occupancy investment properties and explains how to speed up the approval and build process.

What is a dual occupancy investment property?

A dual occupancy is a property that has more than one home on the same lot of land with separate titles—these can be either attached (like a duplex) or detached. Typically they have two separate entrances and utilities, meaning they are treated as two entirely separate properties; live in one and rent the other out. Dual occupancy properties are built in most residential zones in Sydney; however, to build one, you’ll require an approved Development Application (DA) or complying development certificate (CDC).

Because dual occupancy properties can house two tenants, they make great rentals, often with higher yields than single occupancy homes. Moreover, new buildings often require minimal maintenance and attract desirable tenants.

Dual occupancy under CDC: A more affordable, efficient approval process

Constructing a dual occupancy property in Sydney or converting an existing home to a dual occupancy requires approval and certification. Generally, approval can be obtained in two ways, with a Development Application (DA) or a Complying Development Certificate (CDC).

DAs can take months to approve and cost thousands of dollars, but CDCs are relatively affordable and can take as little as 20 days to receive an approval. You could save up to $15,000 by getting a CDC when building a house if selecting a reputable, professional company.

CDCs combine planning and construction approval processes to enable fast-tracked approval for straightforward, compliant developments. To be eligible as complying development, the build must meet several requirements in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008, also known as ‘Low Rise Housing Diversity Code’ and design criteria in the ‘Low Rise Housing Diversity Design Guide’. If the development does not meet these requirements, the CDC cannot be issued, and you will be required to submit a development application (which could take months and cost thousands of dollars). Therefore, it is best to ensure that the development is CDC compliant and that the application is filed correctly. 

Is my development eligible for a CDC?

When it comes to the design of a property, it is usually easiest to employ a building design company with experience designing CDC-compliant properties. ES Design can help with the entire process, from building and interior design to streamlining the CDC approval. Our team will ensure the best possible outcome for you and your development.

Would you like to investigate whether your property is suitable for a dual occupancy property and a CDC? Get in touch with the expert team at ES Design today to enquire.

Your source of design information.

Stay up to date with the latest industry news, including key changes to planning and design regulation. 

28 March, 2022
NSW Government proposes expanding land use to aid in farming recovery

In the wake of recent natural disasters and COVID-19, the NSW Government is committing to a plan that will see the revival of regional NSW.

15 March, 2022
NSW Government to simplify rezoning process following feedback from discussion paper

A new approach to rezonings in NSW is here. Read more from

3 March, 2022
NSW Government to increase BASIX standards

In working towards a net zero target by 2050, NSW Government has proposed an increase to BASIX standards for new residential buildings.

Load more articles